Monday, August 27, 2012

Frayer Model for Interactive Notebooks


I've been trying to think of how I am going to address vocabulary in my Interactive Notebooks with my Geometry classes.  A quick search and this seemingly innocent site appeared.  At first, I wasn't going to bother looking at the document provided as it is an Elementary Science site.  So glad I did.  It is filled with wonderful examples of foldables and vocabulary strategies.

I decided to start with the Frayer Model.  I've used it in the past and am very familiar with it.  (Hey, I'm already taking on Interactive Notebooks this school year, why add something else to my plate.)  Below is a template I created in Pages.  Pretty basic.  I have over 150 students this year and am trying my best to conserve paper.  It prints 6 per page with a 1/2" margin all around.
Download here.

Here's the SUPER COOL part ....

Many time students spell the vocabulary words incorrectly and I wanted to avoid this by typing the words on the models before printing.  I was going to create a text box in the middle of each model and then type in each vocabulary word.  Easy enough.  As I was staring at my already typed vocabulary list, I was asking myself how I could get those vocabulary words onto that template magically.  (Yep, literally talking out loud with odd looks from my family.)  Suddenly a light bulb went on.  Numbers!  I could use import my Pages template into Numbers and merge my vocabulary words into the model.  (FYI - Pages is like Word and Numbers is like Excel on a Mac.)

Here's what the document looks like ...


When you click on the Vocab #1-6 sheet in the upper left, here's what you end up with ...


You can import up to 24 words and then print 4 pages.  I'm thinking I will a print for word list for each chapter.  They still need to write the word on the front (after they fold) so they are getting practice spelling and writing the word correctly.

I'm sure there is a way to create something similar in Word using Excel, but I found it easier with Numbers.

By the way I use a similar method for my class roster and seating charts.  Enter the names and they automatically appear on the seating chart.  It's pretty awesome.   Like Excel, but LOVE Numbers!!

You can download the zipped file here.  It's in the Interactive Notebook folder.  Enjoy!





Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome. You just changed the way I'm going to have them take their notes on this concept. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it! I'm excited as well.

      Delete